Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
This position is responsible for 1st party estimating, investigation, evaluation and negotiation of high complexity claims to determine coverage available to policyholders and claimants at the most reasonable cost. Applying and explaining applicable coverage to all relevant parties and documenting claims files, and is accountable for providing efficient and timely service to all customers. Acting decisively and working with a high degree of autonomy, within established authority. This position does not manage staff
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Handling 1st party Property claims of medium to high severity and complexity as assigned:
- Investigating and evaluating all relevant facts to determine coverage, damages and liability of first-party property damage claims.
- Applying policy, legislation and company guidelines to all claims of moderate to high complexity to manage loss costs and complex customer relations.
- Establishing timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Negotiating and conveying claim settlements within authority limits.
- Writing denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence.
- Controlling through proper usage of cost containment tools.
- Meeting all quality standards and expectations per Best Practices.
- Maintaining an effective diary system and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Managing file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handling files in compliance with provincial regulations, where applicable.
- Advising underwriting of any information gathered which may affect risk assessment.
- Providing excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, broker and all other internal and external customers.
- Identifying and referring claims with Major Case Unit exposure to the Unit Manager.
- Recognizing when to refer claims to Travelers Investigative Services Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Acting as a technical resource for Claim Representatives.
- Performing administrative functions such as expense accounts, time off reporting, etc. as required.
- Performs any other duties as required.
- Occasional Catastrophe Duty, including other offices and provinces may be required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- College degree or equivalent in business discipline.
- Completion of claim handling training program.
- Hardware and software skills and abilities including computers and other similar electronic devices.
- CIP designation is an asset.
- Provincial licenses, where applicable.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge of construction, estimating and estimating system (Xactimate preferred)
- Must display solid verbal and written communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently.
- Solid analytical skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Incumbents who fill this position will be subject to periodic post-hire criminal background checks while employed in this position.
This position requires the individual to access and inspect all areas of a dwelling or structure which is physically demanding requiring the ability to carry, set up and climb a ladder weighing approximately 38 to 49 pounds with a safety weight rating of up to 300 pounds (safety weight rating is the amount of weight the ladder can safely carry and includes weight of the individual and up to16 pounds of standard equipment), walk on roofs in accordance with Provincial Legislation, and enter tight spaces (such as attic staircases and entries, crawl spaces, etc.). While specific territory or day-to-day responsibilities may not require an individual to climb a ladder, the incumbent must be capable of safely climbing a ladder when deploying to a catastrophe which is a requirement of the position
- High School Degree or GED required with a minimum of 3 years claim handling experience.
- Experience utilizing computer technology; such as Microsoft Office, e-mail, Web-enabled applications, and database software.
- Ability to accurately compute a variety of numerical calculations required.
- Licensing Required: In order to perform the essential job functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance
- License(s) may be required to comply with provincial and Travelers requirements.
- Valid driver’s license may be required.
- Must secure and maintain company credit card if required.