Conestoga College is currently seeking a qualified individual to assume a technical leadership role, working with a team of users and software developers, to specify requirements, develop/acquire, install, test, implement and support complex system solutions, which may include integration with third party software. The primary responsibilities of this position are to elicit requirements, define business rules and procedures, analyze/design, validate and document business solutions, assess impact, adapt procedures, recommend change and execute deployment. This position acts as a technical resource to areas of responsibility and serves as a conduit between the client, IT staff and management.
The ideal candidate will possess extensive hands on database query knowledge (SQL) or programming experience coupled with exceptional analytical skills, ideally in an educational setting or organization with complex systems.
- Provide technical leadership on medium to large projects by collaboratively working with clients, leading requirements gathering/definition meeting with clients, sponsors and their staff; detailing project definition, scope, goals and constraints
- Work with a team of programmers/developers across multiple projects on technical issues
- Review test plans and test cases to support QA & User Acceptance testing
- Perform in-depth business and systems analysis activities, capturing business processes and rules, system inputs/outputs
- Research, negotiate and recommend solutions
- Identify gaps in functionality and its implications
- Plan and design integration between various components/systems
- Perform impact/risk assessment of new/automated system procedures, practices, forms
- Perform complete system testing, including presentation, functionality, codes, setup/configuration, implication of data changes, quality assurance etc.
- Plan, design and deliver training along with appropriate material and documentation
- Liaise with departments to monitor system utilization and behavior while measuring the level of success for a given solution
- Identify solutions for a variety of complex business and system issues, which entail software, hardware, data structures, business rules, etc.
- When system problems occur, assess risk/impact, identify and resolve – in most cases independently
- Provide training, guidance and support to programmer analysts, management and system users
- Develop/define reports using system reporting tools
- Assume a quality assurance role to maintain the integrity and credibility of the fully integrated system and increase client confidence
- Validate data to ensure system is not compromised
- Three year diploma or degree in Computer Science or Information Technology Specialization
- Eight years practical experience working with complex systems in a programming and/or systems analyst function
- Successful completion of courses in structured methodologies leveraging business analysis and design tools/techniques and principles in accordance with industry standards (i.e. UML)
- Strong technical background in software development, programming, and database design, specifically SQL Server
- Analytical, organizational, interpretive skills to define business requirements, map processes, determine solutions to meet established targets
- Strong conceptual understanding of information systems along with a proactive approach to problem-solving and decision-making
- In-depth knowledge of requirement gathering, current system analysis/design methodology, along with proven testing and documentation techniques for complex systems
- Knowledge of Business Process/Analysis tools/software, Relational Database systems, Information Management toolsets and applications for reporting and analyzing data
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate information