SATCOM DIRECT (SD) offers world-class global communications services, support, and technology to business and general aviation, military, government, emergency response, media, and others who depend on reliable, global communications. SD Avionics, located in Ottawa, designs and manufactures communication products in support of these services.
Our company culture is based on innovation and creativity which allows our team members to thrive in a lively and dynamic atmosphere. We offer our employees a dynamic environment with an excellent benefits package and competitive compensation. SD hires team players with a high level of professionalism who demonstrate a positive attitude and an overall willingness to get the job done. We are looking for people who are passionate about customer satisfaction and who excel in a constantly changing technology environment.
Consistently exemplifies the Satcom Direct (SD) mission, vision and values focused around a philosophy directed toward customer service/satisfaction, job performance and cooperative team interactions. Willingness to support organizational policies that foster “continuous improvement” activities, promote Satcom Direct’s ongoing strategic growth plan and maintain its position as the premiere leader within the Aviation Satellite Communications industry.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and should demonstrate the following competencies to consistently perform the essential functions of this position. All employees are expected to adhere to and be knowledgeable of Satcom Direct (SD) operations standards, established security/safety rules and requirements for attendance.
The successful candidate will assume the Technical Project Manager role as part of our Satcom Technology Team. They will focus on completing engineering projects by organizing and controlling project elements for the team and for the aviation market.
- Leads customer facing projects from beginning to end, directing a cross-functional team of development and integration personnel and driving issues to closure
- Develops project scope and objectives by reviewing project proposals and plans; conferring with all stakeholders.
- Interprets contract technical requirements and use these to develop project specifications, work breakdown structures, requirements matrices, and system level project plans;
- Determines project responsibilities by identifying project phases and elements; identifying needed resources and assigning existing personnel to phases and elements; reviewing bids from contractors.
- Determines project specifications by studying product design, customer requirements, and performance standards; completing technical studies; preparing cost estimates.
- Create realistic, well thought out schedules for various hardware and software-based projects
- Confirms product performance by designing and conducting tests.
- Determines project schedule by studying project plan and specifications; calculating time requirements; sequencing project elements.
- Controls project plan by reviewing design, specifications, and plan and schedule changes; recommending actions.
- Monitors activities and generation of deliverables required to achieve the objectives and ensure any roadblocks are resolved
- Monitor and predict potential delays and the effects those delays may have on the completion of the project and make any adjustments necessary.
- Manages and controls critical vendors, being either build to print orders or design and supply sub contracts. Control and track vendor deliverables.
- Controls project costs by approving expenditures; administering contractor contracts.
- Prepares project status reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends; recommending actions…
- Set and effectively communicate project expectations and progress both internally and externally
- Maintain accountability for schedule and quality through design, procurement, manufacturing, assembly, installation, commissioning and testing activities by maintaining tight liaison throughout their completion.
- Monitor test systems labour hours, material budgets, schedule and technical compliance. Identify, assess and analyze (or ensure the design team analyzes) any related risks, non-conformances, change orders or concerns
- Maintains project data and associated documentation and keeps accurate records of interactions with external and internal customers, obtaining approval for all key documents
- University Degree in a technical field
- PMP Certification (preferred)
Minimum 10 years of experience within the following areas:
- Product design and analysis
- Systems engineering and integration
- Project management
- Design supervision and leadership
- Process improvement
- Multidisciplinary engineering design experience with a demonstrated track record in executing aviation grade products
- Combines technical and project management skills to provide focused, collaborative tactical guidance to development teams
- High levels of energy, diplomacy and assertiveness to ensure the successful delivery of customer projects
- Communicates confidently and effectively, maintaining a high level of composure with people in all levels of the organization in the face of significant challenge or ambiguity
- Experience in working in diverse teams of in-house personnel and/or with outside vendors/subcontractors on multi-disciplinary design/engineering projects
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to foster open communication at all levels.
- Strong skills in critical and lateral thinking
- We are looking for people who can put their ego aside and do what is best for the team.
- Excellent organizational skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Able to work effectively and efficiently toward goals in a complex, diverse environment with multiple and changing demands
- Agile experience a huge plus!